Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Cataracts And Crochet

(stock photo)
Today, I've been working on an afghan I started to crochet in 2014. It's going to be about 36 x 36 inches. My intention when I began was to make it as baby blanket that I would save to give as a gift at a later time.

My kink in that plan was an unexpected bout with cataracts in both eyes. It caused me much distress throughout 2015. I lived much of that year in fear. I just didn't find it to be the easy surgery that everyone told me it would be.

I needed to get into the mindset for healing. At one point, I just literally gave up. I gave all of my precious yarn to the local thrift store. I didn't think I would ever touch it again.

Today, when I picked up the old project, if was to prove to myself that I could still see in enough detail that I could crochet. My vision is nowhere like it was before cataracts, but I'm learning that if I stretch my hands out and hold things at a farther distance that I used to that I can see things better than up close. I'm learning to adapt.

The cataracts was very hard for me because this was the year I turned 50. I felt old. I felt defeated. And, to top it off, I was writing a book of faith based prayers and affirmations.

To say the least, I felt conflicted.

I found a way to push through and found my way through to publication. I spent many hours with my nose practically pushed against the computer monitor.

I never thought God would abandon me.

God had me right where he wanted me to be. I was doing my writing from home and was blessed with a husband who is a wonderful caregiver. I had insurance that covered most of the thousands of dollars for both surgeries. My husband is blessed with an income that would cover the rest.

My 2015 was a year of being tested and humbled over and over again.

I am thankful for the growth and for the yarn project I saved in my throwing out frenzy.
I can see much better and I can adapt with my crochet hook. I learned that fear about my eyes could not defeat me with God standing near me.

Here's to a better 2016.

Thanks for reading.


Sherry

No comments:

Post a Comment